Friday, September 26, 2014

A Message for the Media

Dear Media,
I do not want to know about person x's lover and wife x's murder and how person y was involved and who sent dirty texts to whom, and the method of murder used....

If that someone is not in public office, is not related to me, is not my friend or my aquaintance or business partner or coworker---THEN I DON'T NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

There is nothing I can do.

If they represent me (politically or religiously), then I should know that they are not trustworthy (although, once its really proven, I really don't need all the horrible details).
If I am on a jury, then I need to know all the horrible details, because I hold a life in my hands. (although I don't think the lawyers want me learning the facts from the news)
If I were related or friended to them, then I should know, so I can pray for them. (although, I think I would hear about it by word of mouth. And if It were someone I loved, I don't think I want to see it on the news)

So if there is nothing I can do about it, and there is not a single logical reason I should know about it THEN WHY SHOULD I WATCH YOUR "NEWS"??!!

So I can emotionally rubberneck at the broken humanity?
So I can reel in fascinated horror, the way a kid stares at a half-squashed bug?
So I can feel better about myself, that at least I'm not involved in affairs and murder?
So I can figure out who cheated on who, and give my mental verdict of who was to blame?

God alone really knows. God alone really weeps. God alone is full of holy wrath. God alone really understands the hearts and minds of those wretched people.
God will judge.

So, thank you for filling me in on all the misery of humanity. I will no longer watch or read your articles. I do not want to contribute to the monetization of human wretchedness.
Because really, if I really don't need to know about it, you just want me to read about human wretchedness so I will see the ad for snicker's bars or bounty towels in the right hand corner.

Goodbye,
Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment